Multilateral, Asynchronous, Bidirectional Synchronisation (of wikis)
Mark A. Hershberger
Created: 2016-11-19 Sat 10:33
Who am I?
A really great guy!
First – and only! – Bugmeister for WMF
(They've since changed the title to Bug Wrangler)
Former member of MediaWiki Release Team
- Made the 1.20.0 release of MW as a volunteer on 7 Nov 2012
- Contracted with Markus Glaser to Manage releases until 1.24.0 on 27 Nov 2014
- NicheWork LLC
- hexmode on Twitter
- Physical Location: Akron, Lancaster County, PA
- Sharing knowledge (wikipages, templates, etc) across multiple wikis.
- The wikis are not-always-connected instances.
- Don't want to share everythingn
- Wiki users should be able to edit their own wiki.
- Edits should be propagated across wikis when they become connected.
- Need incremental updates. Don't copy the whole wiki every time.
- Provide a way to merge edits from different wikis.
Share templates among a group of wikis.
WikEm - the Emergency Medicine wiki
- a public wiki that provides Emergency Medicine information via MediaWiki.
WikEm wants to share Emergency Medicine information among hospitals, but hospitals want their own wiki.
- Put shared information in one namespace and sync only that namespace.
- Let the hospital have free reign over the rest of the wiki.
WikEm wants to rapidly update their app with new information
- Many ERs don't have wireless connectivity, so the app provides a copy of the wiki.
- Using kiwix to push updates is inefficient since all the content is copied.
- For now, they have their own protocol.
NASA wants to share EVA wiki content with the ISS wiki
- EVA team has built up a substantial knowledge-base using SMW.
- The ISS is not always connected and has limited bandwidth.
- Some information might be discovered during an EVA that should be added to the wiki.
- A local-to-the-ISS wiki would increase information availability.
Someone wants to edit (Semantic) MediaWiki code without messing around with git.
MediaWiki remote for git
- The code being demonstrated is alpha stage code
- Demonstrations are fragile things.
Host a copy of the wiki
Merge changes on a wiki
(no logo available)
Created with Emacs, org-mode, and reveal.js